Bunkai (Demonstration of Kata Technique)
Uechi Ryu Bunkai provides students with a method of practicing techniques found in kata. There are three formal Bunkai.
Students are encouraged to evaluate and create additional Bunkai techniques from these and other kata
- Always bow to each other before starting a Bunkai and after completion.
- The attacker warns of the attack with a “kiai”, or yell of spirit.
- Maintain a realistic distance from each other during attacks and defenses.
- Maintain eye contact throughout the Bunkai (glare in the eyes).
- Hands should always be in the “kamai” or ready position.
- Hard contact is not necessary or encouraged for new students.
- Once learned, technique that is more realistic is expected.